Technology Makes us all Super Heroes
Everyone is a super hero
Technology is the future, and the future is here now! It seems every kid these days has some sort of mobile device. Whether that’s a good or a bad thing, everything has different opinions, but I think it’s here to stay so we’d better embrace it before we’re left behind!
If you’ve got primary school aged children you’ll know that it’s “Book Week” – a celebration of how books light up our world. And today is the Book Week Parade at my boys’ school where they get to dress as their favourite book character. My boys have both dressed as Zac Power – a twelve year old boy who is a special agent with the GIB (Government Investigation Bureau), and Zac’s adventures frequently see him saving the world. Upon dropping the kids off this morning it was lovely to see the effort that many kids (and their tireless parents) went to – Cinderella, Elsa from Frozen, Harry Potter, The Cat in the Hat, and a super hero everywhere I looked!
What is it that makes super heroes so special?
Why is it that whenever there’s a dress-up party my kids want to be Spiderman or Batman? This got me thinking about business. We are actually all super heroes! There are the obvious ones like police, nurses, doctors, fire fighters and teachers. And all the mum’s and dad’s out there running their businesses – contributing to the community and making a better future for themselves and their family.
You may not realise it, but we’ve all got our own special super power – fixing a blocked drain, cutting somebody’s hair, running an investment portfolio, selling widgets, keeping the finances in order, running a retail outlet, etc.
Super heroes need super gadgets (technology)
All super heroes need super gadgets that make their job easier – Zac Power has a Spy-Pad, Spiderman has web shooters, Wonder Woman has the Lasso of Truth, Batman has the Bat Pod. Technology is a great Super Gadget! What super gadget do you have in your business that makes it easier to get things done?
- Accounting management – Xero, MYOB, Reckon, Quickbooks
- Customer management – Capsule CRM, Survey Monkey, Salesforce, Mail Chimp
- Project management – WorkflowMax, Harvest, Quotient, ServiceM8, Leap, Cliniko
- Time tracking management – Harvest, Deputy, MinuteDock, Timely, Tradify
- Reporting management – Fathom, CrunchBoards, Float, Panalitix
- Point of Sale management – Vend, Cin7, Square, Kounta, Retail Express
- Digital signing solutions – Secured Signing, DocuSign, Adobe eSign
- File Transfer solutions – Dropbox, Box, SugarSync, Hightail, Adobe SendNow
- Remote Login solutions – GoToMyPC, LogMeIn, TeamViewer,
- Social media platforms – Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, Periscope. Twitter, YouTube, Instagram
- Social media management – HootSuite, SocialOomph, Sprout Social
- Stock management – Unleashed, simPro, DEAR Inventory, Cin7
- People management – Deputy, enableHR, Employment Hero, KeyPay
- Document management – Google Docs, Dropbox, Evernote
- eCommerce solutions – Magneto, Shopify, Volusion
- Finance solutions – OzForex, Moula, GetCapital
- Debtor management – Ezidebit, Debtor Daddy, Chaser, CreditorWatch, eWay, PayPal
- Bills management – Receipt Bank, Shoeboxed
Do you see a common theme here? This is all software.
Technology enables businesses today to collaborate with a number of different platforms, and we’re no longer office bound.
Who’s your super hero sidekick?
Even super heroes need sidekicks – Batman had Robin, Captain America had Falcon, Wonder Woman had Wonder Girl. Who’s your business sidekick, keeping you on task and helping you get the job done?
- Financial adviser
- Industry association
You can have more than one sidekick – in fact, it’s probably ideal if you do. Having people work with you means you don’t have to be an expert in every area of your business. It allows you to focus on what’s important, and what you’re passionate about. It’s also a great way to be held accountable and to see things from a different perspective.
Your mission, if you choose to accept it
Here’s your mission:
- Consider what your super power is.
- What technology super gadgets can you implement?
- Who is your super hero sidekick?